Geography

Ix-Xgħajra (English SH’AYRA) is a small village in Malta on the coast, about halfway between Il-Belt Valletta Citta' Umillissima and Marsaskala. It is a small seaside village on the outskirts of Ħaż-Żabbar. Ix-Xgħajra means a small open plan. The population of Ix-Xgħajra is 1,600 people population density 1,287/km (Nov 2008).

Borders Ħaż-Żabbar and Smart City (Il-Kalkara). The inhabitants are called Ix-Xgħajrin. In Summer the population increases from 1.600 to 3000. Landmarks Sea Side Promenade and Della Grazie Battery. Inside of Delle Grazie Battery there was a tower (Santa Maria Delle Grazie Tower it was built by the Knights of Malta in 1620 and demolished by the British in 1888.

 The British government built Delle Grazie Battery the people working there started living round the battery and thus a small hamlet was formed, which eventually evolved into a small town. The battery now in care of Ix-Xgħajra Council and is being restored to form the focal point for a public space, Battery Park.