Statues and Niches

​In May 1569 the Grand Master Pietro del Monte established new regulations regarding what was necessary to build in a city or in a corner. The owners were obliged to decorate the corners with ornaments such as statues, niches or else with the coat of arms of the respective families

 
Statue of St.Michael the Archangel
Situated in the corner between St.Michael’s Street and Bastion Street is an artistic, stone statue of St.Michael dressed as a Roman soldier and overcoming Lucifer. This was originally put up in Victory Street by the Mattei family. Having survived the ravages of World War II, the statue was relocated to the corner between St.Michael’s Street and Bastion Street. In 1795 Bishop F. Vincenzo Labini granted an indulgence to those who prayed in front of this statue.
1_st_20Michaels20Statues20(war20time).jpg 1_Image019.jpg 1_St_20MichaelStatues20(After20war).jpg
Statue of Our Lady of Sorrows
Situated in the corner between Victory Street and Our Lady of Sorrows Street.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Statue of St.Peter
 Situated in the corner between Victory Street and St.Peter and St.Paul Street, this statue was damaged during World War II and later restored.
 
Peter.jpg

 
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Statue of St.Paul (Victory Street)
Situated in the corner of Victory Street and St.Peter and St.Paul Street, there are two statues of St.Paul; both statues being created by the same sculptor. One faces the statue of St.Peter the other which is probably also of St.Paul is badly eroded in need of urgent restoration.
Paul.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------


Statue of St.Paul (Two Gates Street)
Situated in front of St.Julians Church, on the corner with Two Gates Street is another statue of St.Paul. Sculpted by Anton Busuttil in 1886, this is a copy of Melchiore Gafa’s titular statue which is found in St.Paul’s Parish Church in Valletta.
20gates).jpg
 

---------------------------------------------------------------


Statue of St.Joseph
Situated in Marina Gate Street corner with Two Gates Street there is a statue of St.Joseph holding a lily while baby Jesus stands to his right
20Joseph.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Statue of St.Philip Neri
Situated on top of the entrance to the Convent of St.Philip’s Church is a niche dedicated to St.Philip Neri. This is regarded as one of the most artistic works to be found in Malta.
20Statue.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Statue of Our Lady
Situated in 4th September Square, this statue of Our Lady – il-Madonna tan-nofs – was originally placed on Wignacourt’s Reservoir in the main road (Victory Street) during the 19th Century as a thanksgiving to the blessed Virgin for protecting the people of Senglea from the 1813 plague. The statue was moved to its current location 4th September Square in 1955
1_Image021.jpg

 
---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Statue of Our Lady of Sorrows
Situated in the corner between Victory Street and Our Lady of Sorrows Street.
1_Image021.jpg