History

Unfortunately, whilst carrying research about the origins of Hal Safi, little information was gathered, mainly because no type of documentation exists. However, a reconstruction of facts is possible.
 
From some of the existing remains, one can say that thousands of years ago, Neolithic People built their houses on the same land which is today occupied by Hal Safi Residents. The Phoenix and the Romans also lived here years later.
 
The formation of the town as known today goes back to about seven hundred years. Hal Safi was surrounded by four other major villages. Farmers and peasants used to meet here for a chat on their way back home. Later, a statue was erected and this was the beginning of another village since many people settled in the vicinity.
 
In 1419, the village was already known as Hal Safi. According to the records of the Standing Army, in 1419, between eighty and ninety people were considered as village residents. The main occupation of the major part of the residents was farming especially breeding sheep, goats and agriculture.
Besides, when doubting why the village was named Safi, an exact answer cannot be given. But famous Historians concluded that the name was derived from the PURE (Safi) AIR of the village. Others insisted that the village was named Safi since none of its residents was contaminated when an epidemic infected the whole country. Both its coat of arms (a horizontal light-blue stripe on silver background) and its motto (Sine Macula) emphasis the origin of its name.
 
 
 
The Declaration of the Village as a Parish
Like many other surrounding villages, Ħal Safi formed part of the parish of Bir Miftuħ now situated in Gudja. This was a great distance from Ħal Safi, and therefore rightly so, the residents wished to form part of Żurrieq at least which was much nearer. Unfortunately the suggestion was turned down by Monsignor Dusina visited Ħal Safi in 1575.
 
This request was also made by two other nearby villages, Mqabba and Ħal Kirkop and in 1592, Bishop Gargallo decided to separate Ħal Safi, Imqabba and Ħal Kirkop from Bir Miftuħ into one parish; St James at Ħal Kirkop. Again, the residents were dissatisfied as they had to walk long distances to Ħal Kirkop church under the auspices of Father Carl Taliana as parish priest. In protest, the Safi residents refused to donate money for the erection of a new church at Ħal Kirkop.
 
A delegation of twelve men from Ħal Safi paid a visit to Bishop Gargallo in 1598 presenting a petition on behalf of 210 Ħal Safi residents claiming that the village become a parish on its own. During the same year a contract was signed in front of Notary Debono as the bishop acceded to their request.
 
In return, Ħal Safi residents had to pay the Parish Priest money every year, on the feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul. The first parish priest was Dun Ġwann Mizzi who was in office for only three months and consequently Marjanu Xiriha came into administration as the main Procurator.