Churches

 
The Declaration of the Village as a Parish dedicated to St Paul
 Like many other surrounding villages, Ħal Safi formed part of the parish of Bir Miftuħ now situated in Gudja. This was a great distance from Ħal Safi, and therefore rightly so, the residents wished to form part of Żurrieq at least which was much nearer. Unfortunately the suggestion was turned down by Monsignor Dusina visited Ħal Safi in 1575.
 
This request was also made by two other nearby villages, Mqabba and Ħal Kirkop and in 1592, Bishop Gargallo decided to separate Ħal Safi, Imqabba and Ħal Kirkop from Bir Miftuħ into one parish; St James at Ħal Kirkop. Again, the residents were dissatisfied as they had to walk long distances to Ħal Kirkop church under the auspices of Father Carl Taliana as parish priest. In protest, the Safi residents refused to donate money for the erection of a new church at Ħal Kirkop.
 
A delegation of twelve men from Ħal Safi paid a visit to Bishop Gargallo in 1598 presenting a petition on behalf of 210 Ħal Safi residents claiming that the village become a parish on its own. During the same year a contract was signed in front of Notary Debono as the bishop acceded to their request.
 
In return, Ħal Safi residents had to pay the Parish Priest money every year, on the feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul. The first parish priest was Dun Ġwann Mizzi who was in office for only three months and consequently Marjanu Xiriha came into administration as the main Procurator.
 
The largest of the five then existing chapels, dedicated to St Paul, was used as the Parish Church and to commemorate the foundation of the parish, a church bell procured. Also the images of St Peter and St Paul with the engraved inscription “Sancte Paule Ora Pro Nobis” decorated the new parish. The other four chapels were dedicated to St. Agatha, the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, and two to the Birth of the Virgin Mary. The only one still existing, is that dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, which was re-built in 1761.
 
THE CHAPEL DEDICATED TO SAINT MARY
In 1575, Monsignor Dusina had already gathered some information about this Chapel. On the 25 of November 1656, Archbishop Belaguer dedicated the Chapel to Saint Mary. But Gwann Vitor named as Noto filed a request to Vicar Canon Famucelli to re-open the Chapel. Consequently, Parish Priest Matthew Xiriha consecrated the Chapel again on the 22nd August 1683. Around the year 1764, the Chapel was re-built using the money collected from the residents. On the right hand side of this chapel, there was another chapel which was dedicated to the Birth of Holy Mary on the 25 of November, 1658.