Schools

  • Mqabba Primary School
    Located in Valletta Road and houses the public library and the school hall.

    The architecture of the Mqabba Primary School, is astounding.  The school now forming part of St Benedict College in Ħal Kirkop, has a student population of around 400. In 2008 the Ministry of Education invested in a large community hall to form part of this school.

    The first school plans were revealed by the Archpriest on the 25th April 1901, during the Governor’s visit to Mqabba. The Public Works Department’s intention was to build a new school in the garden formerly housing the Lieutenant’s Garden (Ġnien tal-Kmand). At that time, this appeared to be a very suitable place as it was located at the end of the village and therefore in a very quiet area. Nowadays, this area is no longer “the end of the village”.

    One of the contractors offered to lower his bid should he be allowed to use the franka stone extracted from the site. The authorities acceded to his request.  Subsequently, a basement was excavated, and the stone cut from it was used for the building of the school. The land was owned by Mr Guzeppi Grech known as “Ix-Xugar”, who also erected the first floor and gave the emphyteusis to the Government in 1902. The school was officially inaugurated during a school Prize Day on the 4th January, 1903. The ceremony was presided over by the then Archbishop Mons Pietru Pace. During the event, not only the Mqabba students were rewarded, but also other students from the nearby villages of Zurrieq, Qrendi and Ħal Kirkop. Construction of the school was successfully completed in 1910.