History

Hal Kirkop is a very small village with a lot to offer. One finds ‘Il-Menħir’ a large stone which has become the symbol of the village, the Palaeo-Christian catacombs, the medieval Church of the Annunciation, the parish church dedicated to St. Leonard, two band clubs, St. Joseph’s Club and St. Leonard’s Club and a cemetery where one also finds the chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is also a cross mounted on a column referred to as ‘is-Salib tad-Dejma’. Spread all over the village one finds numerous niches testifying the villagers’ dedication to Religion. Kirkop used to be part of a larger parish, that of Bir Miftuħ since medieval times but on the 29th of May 1592 it became a parish in its own right.​