Churches

L-Ghasri Parish Church
The village church, designed by a local priest, Dun Guzepp Diacono, was build early in the twentieth century. Its foundation stone was laid on 6 September 1903.  On 9 January 1916 L-Ghasri Parish Church was blessed and consecrated to the Blessed Body of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
1_knisja.jpg
The Basilica of the Patronage of the Virgin Mary
 
This little chapel situated at the end of Triq il-Knisja and at the beginning of Triq Wied il-Ghasri was the first basilica in the island of Gozo. The chapel after having been rebuilt several times throughout various eras, was aggregated with the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. Thus from 3rd September 1786, this chapel no longer continued to fall under the jurisdiction of the local eccclesiastical authorities. It was consecrated by Bishop Vincenzo Labini on 10th May 1789. The Rector at that time was the Rev Fr Guzepp Schembri (1776-1821).

1_patrocinju.jpg 

This chapel hence, became the first and for the following 161 years, the only country chapel that was consecrated in Gozo. The painting of the Patronage of the Virgin Mary on the main altar was painted in 1739 by Francesco Zahra.
 
The present rector is Canon Ġużepp Zammit who has been in charge of this chapel and most dedicatedly looking after its needs since 21st November 1966. The feast of Our Lady of the Patronage is celebrated every year on the second Sunday of October
 
 1_kappella.jpg
Chapel of St Publius
This chapel is situated in a lane off L-Għammar Street. It was built by the Rev Fr Guzepp Cassar (1803 - 1866) on the site of an older chapel dedicated to St Leonard.
 
 The foundation stone of St Publius Chapel was laid on 26th July 1850. It took just over two years to complete its construction. It was blessed on 10th October, 1852 by the Archpriest of Gharb, Rev Fr Salv Mizzi.
 The two bells of this chapel are called Publiju and Pawlu. The feast of St Publius is held on the third Sunday in January.