Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

The following FAQs are based on the feedback from the Customer Support Unit within the Department for Local Government – Monitoring & Support, within the Local Government Division

How would I know whether an issue or complaint lies within the responsibility of Central Government, Local Council or any other Public/Private Entity?

The Customer Support Unit within the Department for Local Government – Monitoring & Support will help you direct your complaint to the right entity and through the proper channels. This may include determining whether a particular street is under the jurisdiction of a Local Council or Central Government or if the responsibility for a public service, such as the upkeep and maintenance of traffic signs and road markings in a particular road lies within the Council or any other Government entity.

I have been advised that the issue I raised is a service request not a complaint. What’s the difference?

If you are requesting a service, for instance, a request for information related to refuse collection, we would normally treat this as a service request rather than a complaint.  

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint online, by telephone, by calling personally, or by sending a written complaint, as follows:

Customer Support Unit address:  

Department for Local Government (Monitoring and Support)
26, Archbishop Street, Valletta VLT 1000

Opening Hours:

1 Oct -15th June (Winter Time)
Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 3.00 pm

16th June - 30th Sept (Summer Time)
Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 3.00 pm

Telephone: (+356) 22052300 / (+356) 22052353

You may also use the Contact Form.

If I make a complaint, when can I expect to hear from the Department?

Each incoming request for information or guidance received through e-mail will be checked and acknowledged within twenty-four (24) hours from the time they are received. Whenever a request that is received is not fully complied with, the client shall be duly informed of the required missing data/documentation, within twenty-four (24) hours from the time of the receipt of the request. 

Incoming requests/queries which can be addressed by the receiving organization, and decisions thereof do not require further internal/external consultation, shall be replied within twenty-four (24) hours from their receipt.
Incoming complaints/queries which are of a complex nature and/or require consultation with internal/external stakeholders and therefore cannot be replied to within the timeframes stipulated above, shall still be acknowledged.

If for any reason beyond our control, your complaint cannot be dealt with, you will be duly notified and if there lies any alternative redress then this will be indicated.

I want to make a complaint on behalf of a friend or relative. Am I allowed to do so?

Yes you are. However, it is your responsibility to see that permission is sought from the person that you are acting on behalf of, before we can release any information.

I was satisfied with the service I received from the Council. How do I go about saying thank you?

You can contact our Customer Support Unit or the Local Council directly in the same way that you would if you was to make a complaint.

I’m taking legal action against the Council. Can I still make a complaint?

If the complaint concerns the same subject matter of the legal action, then we will not be able to follow-up your complaint.  

How does the Council ensure that it is doing its best to deal with my complaint?

Local Councils use complaints and feedback to improve the way that they deliver their services.  The Department for Local Government (Monitoring & Support) can also assist a local council to improve on their standards and service delivery.

What will the Council do to resolve my complaint?

When we receive your complaint, we will review and follow-up with the relative Local Council and if possible, a solution will be discussed and provided through the Local Council concerned or the competent entity/authority. ​